Looking for good book? How about these selections from the Book Lover’s Party?
- Lost Star of Myth and Time by Walter Cruttenden – Cruttenden investigated ancient calendars and discovered that the cycle of ages was thought to be due to a mutual orbiting of our Sun with another star.
- Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare – Teen – A thousand years ago, the Angel Raziel mixed his blood with the blood of men and created the race of the Nephilim. Human-angel hybrids, they walk among us, unseen but ever-present, our invisible protectors. They call themselves Shadowhunters.
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr – From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, a stunningly ambitious and beautiful novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper – Teen – Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.
- To Rise Again at a Decent Hour: A Novel by Joshua Ferris – After noticing his identity has been stolen and used to create various social media accounts, a man with a troubled past, Paul O’Rourke, begins to wonder if his virtual alter ego is actually a better version of himself.
- The Johnstown Girls by Kathleen George – The Johnstown Girls is a heartrending tale of twin sisters separated by the 1889 flood in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
- The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry : a Novel by Rachel Joyce – Harold Fry is convinced that he must deliver a letter to an old love in order to save her, meeting various characters along the way and reminiscing about the events of his past and people he has known, as he tries to find peace and acceptance.
- Revival by Stephen King – “In a small New England town over half a century ago, a boy is playing with his new toy soldiers in the dirt in front of his house when a shadow falls over him. He looks up to see a striking man, the new minister, Jamie learns later, who with his beautiful wife, will transform the church and the town.
- The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline – Penobscot Indian Molly Ayer is close to aging out out of the foster care system. A community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping Molly out of juvenile hall.
- The Astronaut Wives Club : a True Story by Lily Koppel – As America’s Mercury Seven astronauts were launched on death-defying missions, television cameras focused on the brave smiles of their young wives. Overnight, these women were transformed from military spouses into American royalty.
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio – Teen – August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face.
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman – A novel set on a remote Australian island, where a childless couple live quietly running a lighthouse, until a boat carrying a baby washes ashore.